I am quite selective about what noise I like around me when I’m driving and so I’ve recently been compiling a collection of podcasts I like to follow…
Here are some of my current favourite podcasts/some recent recommendations that may become favourites. They tend to be a bit lifestyle-y and a bit business-y and perhaps influenced by a deep-seated desire to escape. [I’m never sure what I want to escape from but living alone on a desert island has been a dream of mine since I was very young!]
These are in no particular order, other than the first one:
Desert Island discs:
This had to be first on my list – partly because of the reason above but also because it was the first podcast I ever really listened to. I go in phases with this because I like to wait until there are a few good episodes to download and then binge on them. I have many favourite episodes but probably the most memorable was David Nott – if you’ve never heard that episode, do! It was so moving that I had to pull over and stop driving. I find that the least celebrity people are the most interesting and generally older people appeal more too.
How to Fail – Elizabeth Day:
I’m new to this one but so far I really like it. I like the concept that there is so much to learn from our ‘failures’ and I like that it is fairly gentle on the ear – I generally don’t like over-excited interviewers/ees! There looks to be a really interesting mix of guests and I look forward to hearing more episodes of this one.
The Doctor’s Kitchen:
This is cool – Dr Rupy Aujla cooks for his guests as he chats to them. I feel like I’m in his kitchen with them! I was recommended an episode called ‘The language of kindness’ with writer Christie Watson which I’m really enjoying, although I did wince at the thought of aubergine curry because I can’t eat aubergines. I just tuned out a bit when the food was mentioned! Like the previous podcast, this feels gentle on the ears. I will definitely dig deeper and listen to more episodes.
Shoot, Edit, Chat, Repeat:
This podcast is hosted by two UK photographers, Vicki Knights & Eddie Judd, and I’ve listened to lots of episodes after recently being recommended it. Some of the topics are very specific for photographers but there are plenty of really useful business-y guests too. I don’t mind the photography stuff (because I am interested in that too) but the business ones are equally relevant to any field of work. The hosts are very bright and chatty – I tend to skip the first 10 minutes of chatter – but I like the way they interview their guests and tackle some interesting topics, including mental health, social media use, mindset and marketing.
Other podcasts on my radar:
Here are some more podcasts that I follow but either haven’t listened to yet or haven’t listened to in a while:
- The Mother of All Movement with Kathryn Meadows – focuses on all aspects of moving your body after having children; has a body-positive message; wide range of topics and interesting guests
- Practical Magic with Kate Taylor – haven’t listened to this one yet but I have several episodes on my download list; ‘helping us live an embodied life full of creative expression’; some short episodes which are perfect for a quick mindset-shift
- Feel Better, Live More with Dr Rangan Chatterjee – I love the common-sense approach of this podcast and some great information; I love his voice & his passion for empowering us to manage our own health; the episodes are a bit on the lengthy side – good for longer journeys
- The Happy Startup Community – another one that is new to me but it looks at some interesting business issues so I am sure it will become a favourite
- Bravehearts Rising with Lisa Pascoe – this is another newly recommended and not yet listened to podcast but it speaks to my soul – it describes itself as exploring ‘what it takes to create a wholehearted life’ and I like that concept; lots of stuff here that I look forward to hearing soon
What podcasts are you listening to? I’d love to know because I really like this format and find it a really useful way to pass the time whilst driving between clients.